an exercise in beliefs

I was rereading the fabulous book on Neurolinguistic Programming (Introducing NLP by O'connor and Seymour) and came across an activity dealing with beliefs that sparked in me deeper understanding around experiences I have recently been having.  


The activity follows, stick around for it. There's important food for thought... 


But first the prelude. We are creatures of our beliefs. Its not new news. It just never fails to amaze me how that plays itself out in our experience. There are moments in our lives when a belief we held tightly to, either one about ourselves or the world or both simultaneously, shifted drastically. From then on our perspective included the new belief and our life was shifted as a result of acting from that belief. We can all think of instances like this.

Its amazing to have our life energy liberated by something as simple, and as elusive, as a degree shift in how we perceive ourselves or reality. It truly can be like being removed from a prison- potentials and possibilities entering in where previously only constraint was felt. 

So its interesting to note that all beliefs, including ones that seem the most important, such as one's belief in a particular deity, or in the feeling that killing baby seals is wrong (I put that in there for shock value), are limiting. By their very nature beliefs constrain the unknowable. 

That is fine; constraint is not bad in itself. For instance, my mind can only take in so much- to simply get a grasp on what I experience, my brain heavily compresses 'reality' into a manageable size, which means there is always more data left out than is included. The limited focus my brain can manage narrows in on the bits that seem pertinent to me, which is influenced by (and simultaneously influences) the beliefs I carry. 

Beliefs allow us to make broad-scale judgements and act accordingly. They can elevate our way of being- 'I am a good person', 'the world is comprised of love', or they can lock us up- 'I am stupid', '[whomever] is evil'. In their way, beliefs empower us in some form and give us the capacity to act without thinking, to take something for granted as being whatever way one is thinking it is (or ought to be). 

The narrowing of reality isn't good or bad, neither is the the constraint- what's good is how this may free up our energy to move in more powerful ways, what's bad is how it may have us acting in hurtful ways or with less potent energy. 

The world is neither as simple as we can come to perceive it, nor as stable as we might ever think. Even if the world were exactly the same with nothing else changing, we ourselves are an ongoing process, one that doesn't stop until the the moment we leave this existence (and even then...). As we grow, our perceptions shift- towards...wherever they shift towards. Hopefully the shift grants more access to the fullness of life. Sometimes, though, the self-lock up can get more severe. 

Here's what I am realizing: To the degree that beliefs have shifted in my past, liberating the sense of who I could be, I must be aware the this process continues even now. To think that I know myself is to immediately reduce who I am able to be. There will always be ways to be an even fuller expression of my being. There will always be places where my ego is fighting for itself primarily and not for the general well-being. 

There will always be a way to take a fuller breath, to expand more into who I am. 

----------------------- 

The Activity 

This activity offered me a point of reflection into the elements that have brought me be to who I am today. Everyone has experienced at least one ground shaking belief shift that has given them fuller access to life. The following activity has me looking at those moments with new eyes, and in the process looking into the limitations I currently carry. 

Belief projection activity:
  1. Think of a belief or 2 or 3 that limited you 5, 10, or 20 years ago and write it down. How did that shifted belief change your life? How might your life be now had that belief been maintained?
  2. Take a moment to clear your mind. Stand up, walk around and take a few deep breaths. 
  3. Now think of a new belief that would empower you, that would enhance the quality of your life. 
  4. Look into a big, friendly mirror and imagine yourself acting as if this new belief were reality. How would your life be in 5,10, or 20 years? How would your life feel differently? 
----------------------- 

Here's what I came up with:

Past limiting belief: 'I am not an artist'.
Wow. I can't imagine what my life would be like had I continued in this belief. There was a palpable moment when I was 28 when I literally gave myself permission to pursue art. 5 years later I had already had 4 years of being paid to do my art. I had made it across the country several times to create installations. I was living in an artist's cooperative that I co-founded. More pertinently, creative perception and expression become a way of living. Now 10 years later most of my work involves artistic expression of some sort. I have been to other countries to create my work. My art has become a way to engage and elevate others, which feeds my soul. 

A belief that would liberate my energy: ' I have everything I need right now'
I have been exposed to this idea quite often and yet I can always find places where an internal response I might have it 'there's not enough...[whatever]'. That could be money, time, work, patience, experience...Whatever feels to be lacking is a reflection of whatever may be up for me at the moment. That recurring voice has me constricting around whatever I might have if it seems to be in limited supply. So generosity can become stifled. 

I can see that incorporating this belief in my life would have me engaging the world with perhaps less restrictions on my own personal needs which might make my energy ever more available to offer to the world. I don't mean to say that I need to give more to the world necessarily, but I can see that more of me could be available when I let go of concerning myself about what I am lacking. It's hard to predict what any new belief will turn into years down the road, but I can see that I am only served by lessening the feeling of concern of not having enough. I am reminded of words I heard about the Buddha, that if he had only one bit of advice to offer it would be that if he was down to his last food, he would share his meal with another. He said that the benefits to both the giver and the receiver were incalculable. I like that thought...

----------------------- 

Let us be guided, not controlled by our beliefs. May what we choose to follow expand our potential and bring us more fully into our true selves.

-Andres 3/20/11

No comments: